Wednesday, July 30, 2014

10 Years Later...

Wow, here we are celebrating our 10 year anniversary!  It doesn't seem possible since I'm pretty sure we just graduated college a couple of years ago, but when you do the math that's what it comes to.  I could sit here and write something mushy about how amazing Sam is and how he's the best husband, father, and best friend ever (all of which would be true :), but I think I'll go with a different approach this year.

Sam and I have a saying that we often tell each other.  It's "Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good."  I know this sounds a little weird, and most of the time we say it when we're working on a project or something, but I think it applies to marriage also.  If you're constantly looking at other people's marriages and thinking about how perfect they are (which they probably aren't), it will get in the way of seeing the good in your own marriage.  All you will notice are the things your spouse doesn't do or say instead of appreciating what he/she does.

This saying doesn't just apply to our marriage, but also to our family and life in general.  We choose to live in a "good" house instead of a "perfect" house so I can stay home with the kids and we are happy with our two amazing kiddos instead of focusing on growing our family like we had planned for years (we figure it's all in God's hands anyway).  

Luckily (maybe because we look at it this way), our marriage isn't just good, I think it's great!  Do we have disagreements, of course.  Do we but heads sometimes, only when he doesn't agree with me ;).  Do we know that as a whole our marriage is awesome and worth working out any conflict we might encounter, absolutely!  (Also, before we ever got married, we made an agreement that the D word wasn't an option and was never allowed to even be mentioned.) 

So, here's to ten years of ups and downs, smiles and tears, bad looks and belly laughs.  I can't wait to spend many, many more with you!

And, because it is an anniversary post and all, and a pretty big one at that, here's a small recap of our Last 10 years together.

July 30, 2004
Our Wedding Day

 May 2006
Bella Joined Our Family

July 2007
Rufus Joined Our Family

May 3, 2010
Aubrey Was Born
Sam was holding her in this picture, but I cropped that part out.  I think his eyes perfectly reflect love, joy, grief, and all the other emotions we felt that day.

May 18, 2012
Joseph Was Born
 
September 25, 2013
Sarah Was Born

November 2013
Our Most Recent Whole Family Picture

May 2014

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! We love you guys so much!! How cute the doggies were!!! And that last picture of you is absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Anniversary, you two!!! What a joy the last 10 years have been!! And I'm with Heidi- I love that last picture... of you and the rest of your group!

    ReplyDelete