Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Team Carrie

A few months ago, a good friend and college classmate, Carrie, found out she has stage 3 breast cancer.  I'm not going to go into details about her story because there is no way I can do it justice, but I will tell you she has had a double mastectomy and is currently undergoing yet another round of chemo.  You guys, she's my age and has a six year old and seven month old!  Carrie has fought this battle with more dignity, strength, faith, and positivity than you can imagine.  She has an amazing attitude and is using this as an opportunity to witness to others. 

Carrie is truly one in  a million with a smile that lights up a room. That's why a group of girls we graduated college with decided to get together (along with many of Carrie's other friends and family members) and walk the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  Although only eight of the girls we graduated with were able to make it that day, I know everyone was there in spirit (and when you think about the fact that there were less than 20 of us in our class, that's pretty good odds). 

 OSU Early Childhood Education Class of December 2005
 
All of Team Carrie started in the last heat of the untimed 5k (except for the few people who ran in the timed 5k earlier that morning).


There were thousands (I'm guessing) of people at the race that day.

We ended up separated into a couple of groups mostly because our group was taking our time talking and enjoying seeing each other.  (Notice the three people pointing?  That's because I forgot to set the stroller break when I jogged ahead to take this picture.  I earned the mom of the year title that day.)

A huge thank you goes to Rachel (second from the right) for designing and selling the Team Carrie shirts with all proceeds going straight to Carrie to help with expenses!

She even included Carrie's current favorite bible verse on back ( I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 in case you can't read it).

As we approached the finish line, we noticed that the rest of Team Carrie had stopped short and we all crossed together cheering for Carrie as she led the way.  I don't have any pictures of this because a.) I was caught up in the moment and b.) I wouldn't have been able to focus through the tears in my eyes. 

We also saw this couple at the finish line and learned that they are both breast cancer survivors.  The woman's sign dubs her "Pinkerbell, fairy godmother of breast cancer survivors" while the man's reads "Mr. Pinker advocate for males checking self for breast cancer!"  The lady with the dog is their daughter.

I'm so glad I went over and participated in this day!  I couple of different times I heard Carrie say, "Thank you for coming, guys.  My heart is so full right now."  That, my friends, is why I was there.  Carrie, we love you more than I can say and are continuously lifting you up in prayer.  You are a fighter and I know you will beat this!  Team Carrie will be back next year bigger and better than ever!

2 comments:

  1. What a great day to support your friend for her strength and success! Prayers for Carrie and her cancer battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I held back tears all day. What a truly humbling experience! Yes, it will be a yearly event from now on!

    ReplyDelete